Posts Tagged ‘what is dental assisting’
Being a dental assistant is a great career choice for many people. Often, the hours are flexible, working conditions excellent, and market demand strong.*
If you are considering a career as a dental assistant, you may be wondering: Exactly what do dental assistants do? In general, dental assistants either work directly with dentists who treat patients, work in dental laboratories, or support office operations.
Some dental assistants may work in multiple areas. Below is a list of some common dental assistant duties.
Working with Patients
- Sterilize and lay out dental instruments
- Take and process X-rays
- Remove sutures
- Apply anesthetics and anti-cavity agents to teeth
Managing the Office
- Answer phones and set appointments
- Greet patients and process client info
- Manage patient files
- Process payments and issue invoices
- Make plaster casts
- Clean and polish mouth guards, dentures and other removable appliances
- Performing orthodontic measurements
Training for a dental assistant career at Everest can often be completed in under a year. Contact us to learn more about our Dental Assistant career training programs.
*U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos163.htm)