10 Tips for More Energy at Work
Posted February 18, 2013on:
We’ve all felt the “afternoon blahs” — those times when your “get-up-and-go” got up and left. From getting enough sleep to reading a book, these 10 tips can help you find more energy throughout the day.
- Get enough sleep. First and foremost, make sure you can get a solid night’s sleep. If you’re tired, it makes the days drag on.
- Wake up with a workout. Even simple stretching can help, but getting your blood moving first thing in the morning can help energize you all day.
- Squeeze in a nap. Don’t sleep on the job, but if you can grab even a 10- or 20-minute siesta in your car or in an empty conference room, it can go a long way toward perking you up.
- Laugh. Try to make time in the day for a smile, whether it’s a funny video or a joke of the day. Laughter is a natural energizer.
- Take a walk. Use your break time to get out of the office for a few minutes. Walk around the parking lot or down the street. A little fresh air is a big help.
- Read a book at lunch. Escape into a good book or a short story while you eat. It’s a good way to refresh your mind.
- Drop the baggage. Resolve conflicts with a boss or coworker and try to let go of grudges. You’ll be surprised at what a difference it makes.
- Do a coworker a favor. Lend them a hand or just a kind word. Just this simple act can work wonders for your energy.
- Call a friend. Give a close friend a call during a break, even if it’s just to say “hi.” The interaction can help recharge your batteries.
- Like your job. Nothing saps your energy like doing something you hate. So figure out what you enjoy and find a way to make that your job.