5 Things Not to Say to Your Boss
Posted June 5, 2013on:
Being honest in the workplace is a good thing, but there are still some things that bosses just don’t want to hear. So here’s what Monster.com says are five things that you should never say to your boss.
- “I need a raise.” Companies don’t care what you need. They care about what you deserve. So make your case and show them that you really are worth more.
- “That’s not possible.” Bosses want to hear about what can be done, not what can’t. So focus on what is possible, or what it will take to get the job done.
- “I’m so hung over.” If you made the poor choice to hit it a bit too hard the night before, you can make the choice to suck it up and carry on the next day. That’s why we have coffee.
- “I don’t know.” You can’t know everything. But when there’s something you don’t know, simply say, “I’ll find out right away.” And then do it.
- “It’s not my fault.” They probably hear enough of that from their kids. At work, they’re looking for people who can take responsibility and solve problems.