How to Prioritize When Everything is a Priority
Posted June 19, 2013on:
- Make a list. At the beginning of the day, write down everything that you have to do. Then start categorizing them by urgency.
- Assess the value. Weigh the benefits of completing a task first versus the possible consequences of completing it later. This can help you order your priorities.
- Be honest. Know your limitations and don’t make promises you can’t keep. You don’t want to set yourself up for failure.
- Be flexible. As you get more work, your priorities will shift. It is helpful to adjust to these changes.
- Cut the cord. There comes a point where you just need to finish a task and move on. The perfectionist in you may want to keep fine-tuning that last task, but it’s better for productivity to cut the cord and move on.