6 Simple Tips to Help You Read Faster
Posted August 12, 2013on:
You may love reading (or just have lots of it you have to do) but may not have enough time for it. When you can’t make more time for it, what do you do? Read faster. Here are some tips to help you increase reading speed and comprehension:
- Reading is not linear. Feel free to go back and reference parts you have already read. It will help you understand the material better.
- Stop subvocalizing. Subvocalizing is the act of sounding out words in your head. That actually slows us down because our brains understand the word much quicker than the time it takes us to sound it out.
- Practice reading. The more you read, the quicker you will get.
- Use a pointer. It will help you focus on what you are reading and keep track of your place.
- Eliminate distractions.
- Find your motivation. If you’re finding that it’s a struggle to concentrate, remember the end goal and why you are doing it in the first place.