How to Use Job Boards Effectively
Posted August 16, 2013on:
Job boards can be a great resource for finding new career opportunities… if you know how to use them effectively. Career Services at Everest is always there to help you navigate job listings, but here’s a few tips to get you started:
- Use an aggregator like Indeed.com, SimplyHired.com, or CareerJet.com. An aggregator collects openings from hundreds of different job boards so you don’t have to go to hundreds of different sites. An aggregator will also filter out most bogus listings.
- Pay attention to what jobs you’re applying for. When sending out so many applications, it can be easy to lose track. Applying to the same job twice looks unprofessional and can hurt your chances.
- Use the information you find on job boards as research. See what common skills employers are looking for in your position and be sure to include them on your resume. You can also get an idea of typical salary, etc.
- Don’t send out generic resumes. Personalize each application to fit the company and position you’re applying for.
- Use all of your resources. Don’t rely solely on job boards. Make connections, network, and utilize the career services at your campus.
At Everest, you can get ongoing career services support to help you in your job search. Contact us for more details on how Everest can help you use job boards to your advantage: http://ow.ly/nLnbJ